Monday, December 20, 2004

Embryo Transfer Review

Here's how my embryo transfer happened (11/14/04)
1. Arrive at doctor's office on a Sunday morning. Sipping on 2nd bottled water. Sit in car waiting for them to unlock doors. Feel a bit guilty as we are missing church and it is directly across the street from infertility doctor. DH has always said this was good...we have a procedure and then go across the street to pray about it.
2. Enter doctor's office. Go to intake room and take off pants and put on gown. Go to bathroom to pee and then walk with DH across the hall to the operating room.
3. Nurse offers blanket. I gladly take it. Nurse offers stool for DH. He gladly takes it.
4. Doctor and nurse bustle about getting me draped and set up in stirrups. Embryologist pokes head in and says he is ready.
5. Abdominal US and jelly plop on my belly. Doctor says bladder isn't full as they would like but they can go ahead. Doctor puts metal speculum in.
6. She seems to be swabbing a lot down there and a few times over and over again.
7. Look at US monitor. Its all fuzz to me.
8. Embryologist pokes head in again and I am not thrilled he gets to look at me front the down there view. Hands embryos to doctor.
9. Embryos go in. Wait a bit for embryologist to check the tube to make sure no one got stuck on the way. (I had 3 transferred).
10. Thumbs up. Speculum out. Ultrasound off. Doctor explains a bit to me about how they don't really "float around" but actually are waved in by tiny fingerlike projections lining my uterus. (pseudopods)
11. I am tilted towards my head and legs are taken out of stirrups.
12. DH and I are to wait 30 minutes in the room in tilted position (Tredelenburg). About 1/2 way thru I need to pee really bad. All the water I drank hit the bladder. Ask DH to get nurse.
13. Doctor comes in and offers catherization or bedpan. I apologize and hope bedpan doesn't gross them out. Doctor and nurse laugh and bring me bedpan and 5 minutes of privacy.
14. Easily pee into bedpan (I have never done that before) gallons of urine.
15. Feel 100% better and finish 30 minute wait with DH singing Southpark songs to me.
16. Get up and Dh brings clothers from other room so I can get dressed. Can't find panties. DH goes back to other room and finds them.
17. Wheel chaired out of clinic.
18. Go home. Try to stay rested/ prone for the next 2 days, but during that time, keep getting up to do things as I am bored. Other than abdominal bloating feel fine.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?