Friday, December 17, 2004

Foggy on the details

When I started the IVF road, I read as much as I could find on the subject, asked the doctor lots of questions, watched the Powerpoint presentation on the IVF, and read all my handouts. In spite of all this, I was still pretty foggy on some of the details, particularly on the egg retrieval. All the other parts, the stims I had some idea from doing stims with IUIs. I finally called my DH's friend whose wife had gone thru this. Finally, after going thru it, I understood everything completely. In brief:

1. Arrive at physician's office (we are lucky to have the procedure completely take place in the doctor's office...the back half of the building are the ivf rooms and labs. It seemed that women didn't like going to the hospital to do it and have to sit around with pregnant women in the waiting room.)
2. Change into hospital gown. Sit on edge of bed and go over health history with nurse.
3. Nurse puts IV in. Husband fidgets, not sure what to do.
4. Doctor comes in and briefly asks me a few "How am I feeling" questions
5. Walk over restroom to pee and then to retrieval room. Say bye to DH
6. Lie on hard table. Chit chat with anesthesiologist. Realize there are about 6 people in the room (no wonder this costs so much...all these people are here to do this).
7. Feel burning sensation in my hand as IV anesthesia goes in. Conk out.
8. Wake up in 1st room (recovery) feeling groggy, mild crams (like PMS). Blink, close eyes, try to wake up some more.
9. Wake up enough to ask for DH
10. DH appears. Nurse asks if I want tea. (Hot, cold?) Close eyes again.
11. Wake up enough to sip some water.
12. Wake up enough to go pee.
13. Doctor comes in and tells me they got 5.
14. Wheeled out of clinic into car to go home.
15. Go home. Fully awake now. Ponder 5 eggs retrieved (think this might be kind of low as they saw 10 follicles)
listen to DH snore as he takes a nap on the recliner. Sip gatorade.
16. Sit around all day wondering what next.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?