Sunday, December 05, 2004

Progesterone in Oil (PIO) is a pain in the butt

I have read a lot of comments on the internet about how terrible PIO is and whether they are really needed. They are terrible in the sense that one gets poked in the butt every day with a large gage needle. I'd really rather my husband not see my naked, hole ridden butt every day in a non-sexy way, but I have already come this far to have a child so this is just another step.

There is medical literature supporting and not supporting their use in the luteal phase (the time in which the baby relies on the corpeus luteum to make progesterone). There are some days in which I want to stop the shots, but I am not ready to disobey doctor's orders or blame myself if something happens. I am/ was pretty clueless as to how long I would be using it and am still somewhat unclear (my doc usually stops at 8 weeks) as I have a pesky vaginitis when I use the suppositories.

The only advice I will offer is 1) Make sure you have enough (and the right size) needles and 2)stay higher on the hip and it will be less painful and 3) don't be scared of them, you can handle it.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?