Wednesday, March 02, 2005

How did I get here?

I was married about 2 years ago and the biological clock sounded even when I was dating my husband. I guess he was the right guy and I was hitting above 30 in the age group. We tried the natural way for about 6 months and after discussing with my family doctor and thinking about my crazy, almost non-existant periods, I sought the help of the reproductive endocrinologist. My DH was concerned with my decision, which he felt was premature, but supported me and came along to visits.

4 failed cycles of injectibles/ IUI later and 1 year of time passed, he was convinced that I wasn't being hasty in all of this. The RE was suggested 2 more cycles before the leap to IVF, but after some more deep thought and the suggestion from my DH and my mom to move onto IVF, we went for IVF. It was scary for me to come to terms with that decision. It meant that this was IT...the ultimate in what we could do to grow a baby inside of me that was part me and part DH.

IVF #1 started along with a one time Lupron shot to shut it all down, followed by some gonal F for 3 weeks. My estrogen kept peaking and they had to coast me twice. 3 days before the planned egg harvest, the RE called me with BAD news; the estrogen level plummeted and was consistant with only 1 egg thriving. I was devastated and cried a river of tears. I couldn't even get to the IVF and maybe this was the end of this dream for me.

I gathered my wits and my dh loved me even more and we were ready for IVF #2. I had a lot of weeks of Lupron this time and gonal F with a few shots of repronex thrown in at the end. Even thing was much more smooth this time. I felt less sick and bloated than last time. 5 eggs were harvested and 3 fertilized and transferred. And, as you know, one of them decided to stick around.

So here I am.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?