Friday, May 06, 2005

Showered with attention

Quick update: I love my doctor...I picked the right one. After I talked to him, he was very reassuring and told me to just check my sugars here and there and limit my starches. If my sugars started climbing I might need a bit of insulin. Other than that, he didn't want to make any changes.

Something about me...
I grew up in a very modest family and baby showers tended to be 20 people things at church with punch, white cake (homemade), and pastel pillow mints (leftover from the wedding?!). It was always attended by little old ladies, moms and a few kids and we sat on metal folding chairs passing things around.

Something about my husband...
He grew up in a wealthier family whose matriarch threw parties that are always the talk of the town (and often involved champagne). So (like my wedding shower), my baby shower (I live in the same town as my in-laws) will be a gala affair with a gazillion people invited (and showing up) to graze on horderves (I can't even spell the word). The current guest list involves three digit numbers. The hostesses (buddies of my MIL) are very understanding and gracious and look forward to planning and hosting this shindig.

While I am very grateful so many people are excited about this baby, I can't help but have trepidation about surviving the whole thing. I have decided to adjust my attitude and go with the flow. I can always take a nap in the middle (using my unborn child as an excuse) if I get worn out. Maybe someone will even bring me a glass of punch in between all the socializing.

Comments:
Bridal shower, baby shower - it is all foreign to me. I finally got married at 39 and asked a girlfriend to throw a small bridal shower for me because I thought it was the right thing to do and I'm sure she thought I didn't want one. We had mexican eggs for brunch with cocktails, a massage therapist onsite, gift exchange and good music. There were only about 7 of us so it really suited my personality. Then I went to a friend's bridal shower. There were about 30 women, all very uptight and old fashioned. Needless to say, I was mortified when all the gifts were snowflake plates and bubble bath. I had to tell my friend to hide my gift - X-rated magnetic poetry. I have not been to any baby showers so I wish you luck! After 4 miscarriages, I don't think baby showers are in my near future. Tat said, I do believe going with the flow seems the best course of action.
 
Though you're not looking forward to it, and though you may not really enjoy it, you will at some point sit around and sift through all the extravagant gifts you got, and be in awe of how darn cute all that stuff is. I was dying at my baby shower, wanted to just leave, but once I got home, I couldn't get over how much stuff I got for the baby. Then I shoved it all in the "nursery" and didn't touch it again until a few weeks before I was due. Considering it was my fourth pregnancy, and the only one to result in a living breathing baby, I was a bit scared to enjoy anything.
 
My mother is the "gala" type. My MIL absolutely hates the thought of anyone thinking her to be cheap. Because one set of family lives out of state and the rest are here, I'm getting two (2) schmancy showers, complete with hors d'oevres, sit-down dinner and open bar. I hate showers; they are incredibly boring and I absolutely refused one for our wedding. But the mothers wouldn't even listen to any protests about a baby shower. And, after the first one, I have to say I had a great time and the babe got the cutest, most awesome stuff - I really can't wait for #2 which is coming up 2 Sundays from now. Something about the gifts being all for him made it okay for me. I loved it. I hope you love yours too!!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?