Monday, July 04, 2005

Happy July 4th!

Hi all, I am feeling somewhat human again. The baby is still in NICU but has made a lot of progress. No more CPAP (she pulled it off herself!) and O2. She is feeding (some of my breastmilk too!) and the TPN is off. She is slated to make the ride home on Wednesday if all is well. She seems a lot more peaceful and happy with fewer tubes.

My breasts are humongous (and I actually want to wear a bra!) and making milk. I am not one of those women who was going to be fanatical about the breast feeding issue. But because she is in NICU, I felt that was the one thing I could contribute to her well being and really made a effort to pump my milk even though at times I wanted to give up. Thankfully, my best friend gave me her electric breast pump and I really everything I could about relaxing visualizing the milking coming out. My mom and mother in law are curious and leary about the breastfeeding thing because they are of the time when that was NOT encouraged, but they seem to be coming around. I explained to them now a days they don't even give the "shot" that stopped milk and everyone has to deal with the breast milk coming in anyway whether you feed or not.

So Happy 4th everyone and I wish you all the best!

Comments:
I'm so happy Lindsey will be leaving the NICU this week! When Simon came off the CPAP I was so relieved...he hasn't had a brady in almost a week, which is so reassuring. Like you, I'm not fanatical about breastfeeding, but because of the very reason you cite (NICU), I'm trying really hard to do whatever I can to give him every advantage. I do hate pumping, but putting up pics of him all over along with smelling his worn clothing help me a lot. I'm trying to get on a 3-hour pump schedule but it's been tough due to my long recovery. Are you pumping every 3 hours?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?