Friday, August 12, 2005

Books continued

More book reviews...yes, I am a speedy reader (daughter of 2 librarians)

I am happy to report that I found 2 wonderful books on new motherhood.

1. The Diaper Diaries by Cynthia Copeland. Made me laugh so hard I cried...several times. My poor baby had tears on her as I was reading it while nursing. The cartoon illustrations are priceless...especially the breastfeeding section....New Hampshire...rural area, married with 3 kids.

2. Operating Instructions by Anne Lamott. Almost done with this one. It is very moving and well written. I feel like I am right there with her...intimate and touching. Single mother living in a small town....with lots of loving friends/ family...Bay Area

I think my conflict (see last entry) with some of motherhood books is the conflict I personally have about motherhood due to infertility issues. The 2 books up above honestly deal with the feeling of "Am I a good mother?" NOT "The baby is ruining my perfect urban lifestyle."

Lamott's book very effective spoke to what is the root of the matter in my case, and I believe in many people's cases, "What I don't have." Infertiles have dealt with this issue for a longer time..."What I don't have...a baby, a child, a pregnancy." I think that that factors into the case after learning about the Brooke Shields post partum depression thing. Her "What I don't have" was the infertility factors, natural/ vaginal birth, nursing upon delivery, "bonding." We all have our own list of "What I don't haves."

One last thought that may stir up the hornet's nest...don't use the What to Expect series as your bible. Especially the pregnancy one...I read it too much. I would just chuck it if I could do it again (or just limit it to one reading).

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?