Tuesday, August 09, 2005

New Moms in Books, TV, and pamphlets

I am an avid (and speedy) reader. I have been reading some "New Mom" books during my pregnancy, recovery, and lazing about now with the child (HA!) I have received them as gifts, purchased some, and perhaps maybe now even tired of reading them...pass me the latest issue of Elle please.

What to Expect the First Year - From the makers of that famous pregnancy book. When I 1st received it from a friend, I remarked about how thick and heavy it was. Her response (interesting as she has never had children) was that the 1st year is a long one! Good reference manual but hey way they organize it by month is less applicable to babies than pregnancy as babies can do different things at different times. It may be better to do it like "Just got out the hospital time," "the 1st three months," etc. They are still kind of militant about the mother's diet though....how common is it for moms to eat tofu?! (I am Asian and I only eat it on occasion).


Girlfriend's Guide to Surviving the First Year - Vicki Iovine - Funny, funny, funny. This got me through those 1st 2 weeks of hormonal highs and lows. Author is a writer in Los Angeles who works from home with 4 kids. Some have found her to be cynical, but I think she is just contrast to all those zombie moms who say everything is "FINE" "GREAT!" "BEST TIME OF MY LIFE"

LIttle Earthquakes - Jennifer Weiner - This is a work of fiction, but I read this book over and over again during my nursing sessions with the baby. Set in Philadelphia, a story of 4 different moms who go through childbirth and newborn periods and the drama in their lives. Funny, touching, and enjoyable. One mom is a stay at home who is a former newscaster, one is a chef who works part time, one is working from home, and the other I will not mention to not give anything away. Author is a new mom married to a physician and child's name is LUCY.

Mother Shock - Andrea Buchanan - Collection of essays on motherhood, with a focus on the 1st 3 years. Author is a work at home writer (and former concert pianist) married to a physician who lives in Philadelphia and child's name is EMILY. Compares new motherhood to culture shock. Interesting fact - child carries mother's last name.

It Could Happen to You - Martha Brockenbrough - Journal of new motherhood. Authors lives in Seattle and is a work at home writer, married to IT guy. Very loving and warm as well as humorous. Child is named LUCY.

Nursing: The Complete Guide for the 1st 2 months (that may not be the exact title...but I am too lazy to go get it right now) - I think I got this from the hospital. Published by pharmaceutical/ formula company (Mead Johnson) and written by Harvard faculty. Small, easy to hold while nursing and offers succinct advice on breastfeeding.

Sex and the City Season 5 - Episodes of Miranda's pregnancy, birthing, and newborn experience. Favorite scene - where she pulls the boob out and is frustrated by her kid not latching on. Carrie is shocked at seeing enormous boob. Apparently I have heard that was a controversial scene showing a mother breast feeding. My husband's comment was that how it is that a grown man sucking a woman's breast is ok but feeding a baby is not? Baby takes mother's last name...practical in this sense because if he took his father's last name his name would be Brady Brady.

Now, my ending thoughts are that most of these books are about urban, married, moms who are white, parttime/ stay at home writers who name their children Emily or Lucy. I guess those are the people who have time to write/ wax philosophical.

To me, the blogging community is more diverse group of women. So I am still searching for a book about a Midwest/ Southern mom in a small town/ suburb who has to work full time. How about a single mom? (I guess these people are all too freaking busy). The closest book I have found is:

Where the Heart is - Billie Letts - a work of fiction - 17 year old pregnant girl gets abandoned at a Walmart in Oklahoma. Community pulls together and helps her as she gets her life together and raises her daughter.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?