Tuesday, August 30, 2005

One little one

My experience with infertility treatment has been a successful one. I got one healthy baby after trying a whole bunch of what the latest medicine has to offer. So into my mind, lurking at the edges of my happy baby thought (and foggy mom brain) is that, "Hey this may be it." As in, this may be the only child I have. Of course it is better than, "Hey I am never going to have one." One of the standard questions people ask after you have a baby (and I have been guilty of asking it myself...actually one time it lead to a revealation about how the couple had their baby thru IVF and how they would never do it again) is "Are you going to have more kids?" My answer, "I hope for one more." That is the truth. I don't know if I could go through IVF again. But perhaps it is a mite too early to be thinking about it. Age wise I still have a few years before no man's (woman's) land.

Comments:
It's not really too early to think things over... and you're certainly entitled to the fear of wondering if she will be the only one. Just because you've had a child doesn't mean (at least in my mind) that you're somehow outcast from the infertile community. You are entitled to feel this way - the innocence of just being able to be surprised by pregnancy isn't an easy thing to lose.

Thinking of you and hoping that your time with the wee one is going splendidly.
 
I've already gotten that question myself once or twice.

Actually, I'm pretty content with Juliana being an only child (I myself am an only child) and knowing the trouble we had to endure to get her in our lives...while I wouldn't change a thing now (looking back on it), I just don't know if I could go through all that again.

At the same time though, I wonder if we could get lucky a second time. And then I wonder if I could go through another high-risk pregnancy, etc., and I just don't know. I guess we'll both have to see what the future may hold.

Hope you and the little miss are doing well and your return to work has been a smooth transition. I join the world of the working mom on the 12th. I'm thinking my 'work' work will be easier than my mom 'work.'
 
The only-child thought has crossed my mind a lot lately. We're okay with it but as time goes on I wonder what will happen. It's funny- the other day I had egg-white cm and seeing it triggered that learned behavior to go run and find dh for some nooky. Noticing it brought up some issues for me. I guess it's like Dee said - we'll have to see what the future may hold.

Thinking of you and hoping you're loving being a mom!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?