Wednesday, October 05, 2005

The #)$(*@! Apnea Monitor

I am just venting right now so I don't waste anymore precious brain cells thinking and fretting about this. We are at 3 months 1 week and baby is still having to wear the apnea monitor at night. The other night I found her turned 180 degrees and the cord tangled up around her feet. It was about 4 in the morning and I was pretty annoyed and scared that she could have strangled herself in the cords. It didn't happen again but I called the ped's office today to report the problem. The nurse said I needed to place the cord better and the monitor would stay on, at least until 6 months old. That's when I got annoyed. The doctor had said it would be 4 months and I AM PLACING THE CORD CORRECTLY. The home health people were sympathetic and said they would download today to produce the 2 standard "clean" reports that the leading medical school recommends to have the monitor discontinued. Part of me likes the monitor (we only have it on at night) so I know she is breathing, but I think it is riskier to have the cord in there as a hazard now that she is old enough to move around in the crib. What good is the monitor if my child harms herself with the potentially strangulating cord? I am even willing to sign things that promise that I won't sue anyone. Hopefully there will be some resolution to this soon.

I talked myself "down from the ledge" by thinking about how lucky I was to have this child and that I could be crying about not having one at all. Still, I pray that the monitor can come off soon. Why hasn't anyone invented a wireless form of these machines? My Apple computer has all kinds of wireless technology!

Comments:
How scary! I have heard of a monitor that goes on the mattress. No wires. I don't know if it is as sensitive as the one she wears, but since she isn't having any problems, maybe it could be a solution everyone could work with? Good luck. Jill
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?