Thursday, June 08, 2006

Dysfunctional workplace

I have been trying valiantly to rehabilitate an aging medical clinic with a dysfunctional staff for the past 6 months. I am not alone in my task, a hardworking and smart manager has been there to work on the non medical issues. We have come a long way in the last 6 months. We have had a tremendous staff turnover and most of the new people and people who have stayed are wonderful employees. There are a few bad apples still left, and while they are soon to be gone, they have still on many occasions really messed things up for everyone else. My counterpart is burning out and I felt a little saddened and less confident today to think that I might have to continue on with less time from her or without her.

Maybe it was the way I was brought up or maybe I am just puzzled by the fact that many people take their jobs for granted and don't really care about doing a haphazard job. It's hard to understand why someone in the medical profession, especially, would not really care about they are doing. I mean, we are responsible for people's lives. Even though I am the "big cheese" in the clinic, I feel very priviledged to be working there. I am really proud that people choose to come seek our help when they are sick or well. As this blog mainly deals with women who have to navigate the medical clinics in search of fertility, you would understand how important it is to have medical staff (from receptionist to doctor) that cares about what they are doing.

Well, I can only pray that we can continue to improve our services to our patients and get rid ot the bad elements still present.

Comments:
Toffee, I inherited a unit with similar problems. Though the work I do (financial/insurance sector) is far less critical, the dynamic sounds similar. Turnover was the only way to make things "right," and it takes time to build up a paper trail and a case to support a decision to let someone go. In the meantime, it's easy to lose focus and feel burnt out, especially when the bad seeds are still there, causing all sorts of havoc for the good people who want to do a good job. I'm so sorry your very important work has to include dealing with such cretins. I hope things get better soon.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?